Saturday, November 11, 2006

 
Farewell to Tiger....

I had this footage of Tiger from the Olympics in Utah. It's from before I got my first digital recorder for the TV so it was dubbed from VHS to DVD, transformed to .AVI and ultimately uploaded to youtube where I am sure it will sit on servers for generations to come. Today is Tiger's last flight and I just wanted to pay my respects.


Since everyone always asks why we do "the whole War Eagle thing", I offer the following....
The story of the first War Eagle dates back to the Civil War. According to the legend, a soldier from Alabama was the sole Confederate survivor of a bloody battle. Stumbling across the battlefield, he came across a wounded young eagle. The bird was named Anvre, and was cared for and nursed back to health by the soldier. Several years later the soldier, a former Auburn student, returned to college as a faculty member, bringing the bird with him. For years both were a familiar sight on campus and at events. On the day of Auburn's first football game in 1892 against the Univeristy of Georgia, the aged eagle broke away from his master during the game and began to circle the field, exciting the fans. But at the end of the game, with Auburn victorious, the eagle fell to the ground and died.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?